Water is the most precious gift of nature. It has no taste, no smell and no colour. It is found everywhere and the other name of it is life. We find it in tanks, ponds, wells, rivers and springs. Almost three-fourth of the earth is water. We should conserve and save water so as to protect the water environment.
Benefits of Water
Without water nothing can live. Both animals and plants need water to live. It is the source of all life on earth.
We drink water, cook in water, bathe in water and wash in water. We use water to clean our clothes, utensils, floors, etc. The farmers need water for growing crops and plants. It is also used in generating hydro-electricity.
Why we should Save Water?
We should save water on account of following reasons:
- To ensure adequate supply of water for our future generation.
- Though a large quantity of water can be recycled, but it consumes large amount of power, energy and money.
- Clean water in lakes, oceans, rivers ensures healthy life of water animals.
- Millions of people around the world are still deprived of clean and safe drinking water.
How to Save Water?
- Stop the misuse of water.
- Manage the usage of water properly.
- Stop discharging pollutants without proper treatment.
- Take efforts in maintaining the quality of water.
- Stop wastage of water in our toilet.
- Promote rain-water harvesting and irrigation projects.
Last update: 03.08.2015
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and ArticlesTagged With: Water
Importance of Water
Water is used for various important purposes:
Water in Agriculture
Water plays the most important role in agriculture. Agriculture is impossible without irrigation throughout the crop season. Irrigation ensures proper plant growth.
Water for Municipal use
Lifestyle of the inhabitants and their economic conditions affect the water use within the home in different parts of the country. Municipal; demand includes water for domestic purposes, commercial uses, street washing, lawn and garden irrigation, fire protection.
Water in the domestic sector is generally used for drinking, washing toilets, lawn sprinkling, and food preparation etc.
Balancing the ecosystem
Water is not only important for human beings but also plays an important role to balance the entire ecosystem by various ways:
- By its presence in the atmosphere it absorbs the Sun’s heat.
- The rain water scours the hills and carries the sediments into rivers, valleys etc.
- Percolating water into rock crusts takes part in the formation of mineral deposits.
- In Polar Regions, water in the form of the caps influences climatic and geographical changes.
Water for industries
Water is used in huge quantities in the industries like steel industry, chemicals, fertilizers, textiles, cement, electricity, petrochemicals and paper. Mining, food etc. these industries require water for following or the other reasons:
- Generation of power.
- Cleaning purposes.
- Fire protection.
- Air conditioning.
Water for power
Thermal power plants also requires large volume of water for the purpose of cooling and disposal of fly ash. Water is used in thermal power generation.
Water for Navigation
Water ways are important medium of transportation. Transport by water ways is cheaper as compared to by road and railway. The main waterways exist in the Ganga in the eastern region and Brahmaputra in the north-eastern region, which account for more than 60 per cent of the traffic.
Water for fish, wildlife and recreation
Fish, wildlife and recreation facilities play an important role in nation’s life and adequate water supplies for their continued development and important. Swimming, boating, fishing is the important outdoor recreational activities which are impossible without water.
Category: Natural ResourcesTagged With: Water